Overview of house rules
Recovery House ATX was created to answer the growing need for a safe and sober family living environment for people (with and without children) in recovery, including non-violent ex-offenders in recovery who seriously want to explore a personal and positive “psychic change” in their lives.
Each day the Recovery House fellowship empowers our members in the areas of social rehabilitation, education and spiritual development to stay clean, sober and out of jail.
General Rules of R House:
First and foremost: Recovery House ATX houses are SOBER LIVING ENVIRONMENTS. The use, sale or possession of illegal drugs, the abuse of legal drugs (with or without a prescription) or the possession or consumption of alcohol in any form will not be tolerated.
- Random drug testing will occur - refusal is immediate grounds for expulsion.
- No smoking or vaping is allowed inside the house at any time.
- All members must attend a minimum of three 12 Step meetings per week.
- Members must have a sponsor or obtain one within 7 days of move-in - no exception.
- Members are encourage to attend meetings geographically near the house to avoid missing curfew (public transportation users).
- Members who are not required to attend IOP must be gainfully employed or must be registered or have plans to register in an academic program in a local school, college or university within two weeks of moving into the house.
- Mandatory attendance at weekly house meetings.
- House is kept clean at all times.
- House chores are shared and rotated weekly.
- Rooms are kept clean, picked up and beds made daily.
- Utilities should be conserved (lights turned off when not in use).
- House is kept at comfortable temperature for house members.
- Safety fines will be issued for anything that compromises the safety of the house (e.g. unlocked doors, smoking in the house or in your room, irons left on, coffee pots left on, or changing the thermostat without permission beyond what is outlined above in "Utilities".
- Burning of candles and incense are never permitted.
Termination of Membership:
Besides a relapse, here are examples that will lead to termination of your membership:
- Weapons or unapproved substances in the possession of a member or guests.
- Intentional damage to property.
- Disruptive behavior (i.e., arguing, fighting, being consistently loud, difficult, offensive or disrespectful to house members or manager). Stealing (if it doesn't belong to you, don't take it. If you need to borrow something, ASK. People are very generous at RHATX.)
- Failure to adhere to the Rules, specifically failure to work a program with a sponsor, breaking curfew and/or having a "poor attitude".
- Being MIA, past curfew, no contact for 2 hours – regardless of relapse.
- Going into another person's room when they are not home and without their explicit permission to enter.
- Strangers or unapproved guests allowed into the house by you.
- Violence of any kind will be grounds for immediate expulsion from the house.
- Washer and dryer are provided on site. House provides laundry detergent, dryer sheets. You may not leave your laundry unattended once you begin.
- House provides internet and wi-fi access.
- House computer is to be used for job search, locating addresses/phone numbers for food, medical, transportation or financial assistance.
- House phone is available for those without cell phones.
- Members with cell phones must provide House Manager with their numbers.
Curfew / Nights Out and Guests:
- There is a 10 pm/7 days per week curfew for all house members.
- Extended curfews may be granted depending on length of sobriety, length of membership and member must be employed a minimum of 30 days.
- Special requests (a night out) regarding curfew may be presented to the House Manager for discussion with management for approval.
- You will be drug tested after being granted a night out.
- Staying out past your current curfew is considered a night out.
- NO OVERNIGHT GUESTS ARE PERMITTED AT R HOUSE.
- Male visitors are not permitted at any time (special circumstances may be discussed with management).
- All guests must be approved by House Manager in advance.
- PIR MEMBERS: Refer to your house rules/confer with House Manager for details
- All members are encouraged to be respectful of others, being mindful that others have different work schedules.
- Only prescribed medication is allowed and must be registered in medication log.
- No drugs are to be in the house that are not in the correct prescription bottles.
- OTC medication must be approved by House Manager.
- RHATX houses are working houses (meaning you must find employment and remain employed).
- Members must obtain employment within 2 weeks (those in IOP, must find employment after graduation or before if desired).
- It is mandatory that House members must be out of the house between 9 am to 4 pm Mon-Fri on job search or other obligations.
- If a job is lost, a new job must be obtained within two weeks.
- All eligible members can request DHS assistance; it is recommended to do so within three-five days of moving into the house.
- Move-in/administrative fee and a minimum of two weeks dues are required upon move-in.
- Dues can be paid monthly, bi-weekly or weekly based on arrangement with administrator (after initial payment)
- PIR Members are accepted here via a special partnership and separate terms.
HOUSE MANAGER MAINTAINS THE RIGHT TO TERMINATE A MEMBER FOR CAUSE WITHOUT HOUSE VOTE - BASED ON CIRCUMSTANCE.
Emergency Membership Termination:
- A special meeting will be called when there is suspicion of a member of our association relapsing (drinking, taking illegal drugs or abusing legal drugs); a drug test will be administered.
- Refusal to submit to a drug test will be immediate termination.
- For any other behavior deemed unacceptable by the majority of house or the House Manager, you may be placed on a contract or possibly terminated on the spot.
- IF YOUR MEMBERSHIP IN THE HOUSE IS TERMINATED, YOU MUST LEAVE THE PROPERTY WITHIN 30 MINUTES OF TERMINATION.
- Personal possessions that cannot be moved at that time, must be claimed in 3 days.
- If you are terminated from the House, there are no refunds.